Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Canning


Water canner with jar holder, lid lifter and funnel.
This post will be on canning. Let's begin with why we would want to can. Not only is it fun but it provides food for your family that DOESN'T take up freezer or refrigerator room. Last year was my first year canning ever, so I was very worried, but I was able to have help. My mother in law has canned before and was excited to teach me. Now the thing about my mother in law is she is the one who also taught me how to sew ( more on this later) and now she is teaching me how to can, what a great thing! My mother and law and I have noticed that we work very well together and really enjoy the company. This year we were unable to can peaches ( cinnamona and nutmeg) due to the tree needing to be trimmed to avoid branch damages from the prior year. However, a Brother ( church friend) from my mother in laws church told her that he had planted too many tomatoes and was wondering if she wanted to pick some. Of course my mother in law told him yes and that we would love to can them. We are grateful for free tomatoes, well almost free, we had to take time to pick them, clean and blanch them before canning. If you wish to begin canning start with the water bath, then follow with a pressure cooker. There are plenty of books out there on water bath cookers, the only thing you need to remember is you want to keep the costs down.  First, buying the water bath canner can be about 60.00, plus add in a jar picker upper, a lid picker upper ( magenet on a stick) about 20.00 or less. Then yo need cans and they run 7.00 and up depending on the size you want. So to begin it can get expensive, but once you start it gets cheaper. I find cans at yard sales and especially estate sales. I always look at the rims of the jars for cracks or chips, and I always buy jars that are kerr or ball. I NEVER buy jars that are not kerr or ball, I am talking about regular glass jars, spaghetti, mayo etc. Know you can buy canning jars made by better home and gardens at walmart and they are fine to use. Just make sure the jars you get at sales are kerr or ball.  Now once you have these items, the next thing you want to do is begin to can, This will begin on the next post, so GO GET yor canning supplies and come back to see what is next.....

No comments:

Post a Comment